10 August 2007

Post 8

One of my heroes died today. This has, of course, put me in a very sad sort of mood. I think, though, the reason that I'm really feeling so put out by the whole thing is that few people I know seem to feel the same devastation that is currently racking my soul. To be honest, though, I never realized how much love I have for this man until I got the news of his death--kinda reminds me of "Big Yellow Taxi."

James E. Faust was a leader in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--the Church I am a member of. I have occasionally discussed with fellow members how various leaders in the Church seem to have specific topics that they seem to favor when they speak; President Faust was very fond of emphasizing that he was an ordinary man with an extraordinary calling--a calling that he often felt inadequate to fill. Because of this, I was greatly impacted when he chose to speak on self-esteem a few months ago; he spoke with such empathy and love.

The Church as an institution will go on despite this great loss--truly nothing can stop the stone cut out of the mountain without hands. Nevertheless, there will never be another James Esdras Faust; my only consolation is that, though I never knew him personally, I did know him.

1 comment: