09 August 2007

Post 7

When I was a junior in high school, I had an English teacher who was a self-proclaimed transcendentalist, so we naturally read exorbitant amounts of Mr. Emerson, including excerpts from his private journals, which strikes me as rather rude in retrospect, though I thoroughly enjoyed it at the time. I was impressed by one journal entry that was comprised of only one sentence, which said something like, "I have a nasty appetite that I refuse to satisfy." It impacted me then, and, though I don't recall the exact wording, it continues to impact me now. Though I am not transcendental myself, Ralph Waldo has my undying estimation as a very wise man, and it occurs to me now that perhaps most vices can be starved into extinction.

I met a girl named Chrissy today at work. She walked up to me and the first thing she said to me was, "I'm getting out of jail in six days! I'm so excited! I've been in for 5 1/2 months." The last thing she said to me was, "I really need a smoke," and she left to go outside.
Can one sustain a smoking addiction while incarcerated? What if there was a no-smoking policy placed upon all prisoners? I mean, sure, they'd all get grumpy and cry out for justice (what an ironic thing for a prisoner to call out for!), but, really, who cares? In the end, providing they don't pick up the old habit as soon as they get out, they might be grateful.

That's really what got me thinking about Emerson today. Mightn't we all just quarantine ourselves from out own desires?
Sounds like a good idea to me....

No comments:

Post a Comment