06 August 2007

Post 6

Man. Movie music has had such a surge in quality in the past few years--most notably with The Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Caribbean. One of my roommates is watching The Fellowship of the Ring right now, and I can catch the bits when the score swells to enhance the mood. It really is wonderful.

But anyway, on to today's topic....

It's funny how life works. I recently relocated to a faraway and exotic land, and finding work has been a--howyousayit?--bummer. So yesterday I made up my mind that first thing this morning I would call the local paper and get myself an early-morning delivery route--not my ideal line of work, but at least it'd be a little money while I look for a more serious job. But as I was dialing the newspaper's number--as I was dialing, mind you--my phone made a cute little noise and flashed some lights and informed me that I had a new voice mail. Hoping it'd from any one of the several places I've inquired at concerning full-time employment, I decided to check my messages before calling the paper.
As it turns out, my new voicemail was a message from a temp agency that I hired on with a couple weeks ago, who, up until today, has been utterly useless to me. They informed me of a warehouse position that looked like it would be lasting for a couple months. I'd work Monday through Friday, 7am to 4pm, and get $9.50 an hour. The temp agency's policy is that their customers are not permitted to require employees from the temp agency to lift more than 25lbs at a time, so whatever this warehouse work may be, it certainly isn't heavy lifting. Forty-hour weeks at better than nine bucks an hour? Music to my ears!
I start tomorrow.

Several hours went by, and then a little after 5:00pm, I got a phone call from a place regarding a resume I submitted to them; they want to interview me. It just so happens, this is a substitute teacher position, which I reallyreallyreallyreallyreally would like to try because I'm seriously contemplating making a life-long career of teaching. It'd be nice to have something relevant to put on a resume in three or four years if I do choose to go that direction.
I have an interview on Wednesday.

Now, school doesn't start 'round here till August 20th, so substitute teachers probably won't be in demand at all until, like, September or so, and who can say how much they'll be in demand even then! (Something I plan to discuss in my upcoming interview, by the way.) But I really do enjoy being around kids--especially teenagers. I'd like to try this substitute teaching thing; it seems like a good kind of job to balance with schooling--scheduling-wise, anyway.
I dunno.

So I'll definitely be a warehouse worker this month; maybe next month I'll be a teacher--and who knows what I'll be the month after!

1 comment:

  1. .

    I've done all three. All three are good--particularly the latter two. But can you survive on Utah sub rates?

    ReplyDelete