27 March 2008

Post 108

Hey, another movie review!

So, last night my rommies and I rented and watched The Hudsucker Proxy. I haven't seen that movie in--oh, I dunno--six or seven years probably, but I remembered it being fun, and it is one of Thmazing's favorites, so can't go wrong, right?

Hmm.... Upon reading the above paragraph, I realize that it sounds like I'm implying that you ought to be bracing yourself for some scathing criticism of this movie, but I assure you that such is not the case. I liked the movie; it was fun. And I don't remember the last time a line from a movie made me laugh so hard as, "Okay, Oklahoma then?" did--that was purdy gosh dang funny.

Aside from being fun, though, this movie impressed me with all its allusions (or omages, as cinematographic vernacular goes, I hear) to other movies: in a broad sense, the entire plot was reminiscent of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, and Jennifer Jason Leigh sounded and behaved just like Jean Author (or Katherine Hepburn or several other leading ladies of the era); Tim Robbins's drunken fantasy just before telling off the elevator boy was totally lifted from that really random scene in Singin' in the Rain; when Tim is stumbling around the center of the circle of people after the elevator boy punches him, it looked a lot like--like--like several movies, really--anything Hunchback of Notre Dame-esque, I guess.... There were many others, but I've forgotten them now; throughout the movie, there were familiar scenes that I couldn't quite place. The Cohen brothers totally nailed the 50s thing, though, with the loud-mouthed newspaper man, the cool-handed executive (hyuck hyuck hyuck), the cheerful music, the slappy elevator boy--it's just a well-done movie all in all. Nothing bad to say about it.

That said, I'm not sure how often I'd watch it. Comedy is fun, but I can't really think of many comedies that I'd like to watch over and over and over again--maybe it's a phase I'm going through; I don't know. I prefer thought-provoking movies, mostly, which The Hudsucker Proxy is not [but check the comments on this post for Thmazing's rebuttal; it's bound to show up eventually].

7 comments:

  1. This is the third or fourth thing I've read recently about this movie. And I still haven't watched it. Hmm . . . perhaps I should remedy that . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. .

    Here it comes:

    Not thought-provoking??????

    Surely you jest.

    How can you dismiss the entire cosmic battle between good and evil, life and death, light and dark without any thought? That seems pretty irresponsible, Mr. Moviewatcher, sir.

    And I have to disagree that comedies in general provide very little food for thought. Most of my favorite, most rewatchable films are comedies--because a good comedy provides so much to think about without ever forcing you to. A comedy is like two movies in one: you can think about it or you can just laugh.

    Like the Coens--they're a great example. This or Barton Fink or O Brother or Intolerable Cruelty -- each of those movies is incredibly fun to watch (not necessarily the first time with Barton Fink) and each provides fodder for tons of discussion and argument later. (I mention those three because you can borrow them or watch them with us anytime you're in town.)

    Or what about Wes Anderson? Rushmore is very funny, but there's lots of ideas there. I didn't laugh at all the first time I saw The Royal Tenenbaums I was too busy batting at the things to think about. But later viewings prove: it's very funny.

    Even total mischievous larks like the Marx Brothers or Charlie Chaplin are not bereft of ideas.

    That was a popular complaint made against Napoleon Dynamite, but the ideas are there. (Email me and I'll send you a totally AWESOME article on this subject. You'll die. In the good way.) Although I mostly love that movie for it's pacing and characterization.

    Anyway, you're wrong and you're stupid and I hate you.

    I mean: You're wrong but I'm sure you'll get over it and I still love you.

    Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebuttal! REBUTTAL! I said "rebuttal," not "scathing rebuke"! Gee whiz! I woulda thought you'd know the difference by now!

    Sheesh...

    That said, that was WAY more fun than any ole rebuttal, so feel free to rebuke me any time you want (not that I think you're the type who waits for permission for such things).

    Um. I'm not sure I'm with you on this. The "cosmic battle between good and evil, life and death, light and dark" isn't a very serious discussion in this particular movie. If anything, the deep, thought-provoking talking point of HUDSUCKER was the corruption of power and money and how our ambitions can sometimes be self defeating.

    Can't believe you missed that.... Cosmic battle between good and evil? Gimme a break....

    Um. As for the other movies you mention, well, I haven't seen most of them. O BROTHER I've seen, but I was too busy amusing myself with picking up on allusions to "The Odyssey" to get anything thought provoking out of it, though I suppose there's quite a commentary on faith--religiosity in general, I suppose. INTOLERABLE I saw when I helped you move to California, but I was distracted by a very upset Big O and didn't realize just how completely I had lost the thread until the asthmatic hitman showed up and I realized that I had no idea what was happening. NAPOLEON was indeed very impressive with its characterization and pacing, but I don't remember much of a--of a--of anything, I guess, to be honest; I have only seen it that once.

    Chaplin and the Marxes--okay, yes, their works were definitely social commentaries, but I think there's a difference between social commentaries and philosophical statements--though it may only be a contrived difference that exists solely in my head, allowing me to feel better about myself.

    Okay, okay, fine--I recant. Comedies can make statements, and sometimes they make the best statements of all, but I'm still more into dramatic and moving films just now.

    A good discussion was had on this sort of thing on Trevor's blog not so very long ago, so let me just direct you there (that's the comments section; I took you there because that's where I said my bit, but the original post is really, really good).

    ReplyDelete
  4. .

    The thing about a good comedy is it doesn't usually just open up on first viewing. A drama might not either, but it still is quite assertive that it is About Ideas. Comedies are more subtle and friendly and those are two things I value very highly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. .

    I'm back and I've read that post and those comments before.

    I mostly remember how you totally plagiarized me.

    And here when I has just finally gotten over it you go and link to it all over again.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The thing about a good comedy is it doesn't usually just open up on first viewing."

    Right. Like what I said about Groundhog Day in Post 83.

    ReplyDelete