18 March 2008

Post 102

I am Schmetterling.

Schmetterling is German for butterfly. I chose the name because, by superimposing the letters of my real name upon each other, I can create a symbol that looks something like a butterfly--and, not wanting to call myself The Butterfly for fear of sounding sexually or politically oriented in ways that I am not, so I chose a random language (German) and used an online translator to get the name I now use in cyberspace. I have since learned, thanks to Wikipedia, that Schmetterling was the name of a WWII surface-t0-air missile developed by the Germans.

But today I learned something that--that I think I ought to have something philosophical to say about, but, alas, I do not.

Here's a picture, though:



That's the cover of a DVD. There's a book called I Never Saw Another Butterfly that's somehow related. That's all I really know.

I learned in my Psychology class today that, in some concentration camps, the doomed Jews drew pictures on the walls--some of butterflies. I think that the above picture is of a butterfly drawn on a wall by a condemned Jew.

Here's a poem that was written by a Jew in a ghetto:

"The Butterfly"

The last, the very last,
So richly, brightly, dazzlingly yellow.
Perhaps if the sun's tears would sing
against a white stone. . . .
Such, such a yellow
Is carried lightly 'way up high.
It went away I'm sure because it wished to
kiss the world good-bye.
For seven weeks I've lived in here,
Penned up inside this ghetto.
But I have found what I love here.
The dandelions call to me
And the white chestnut branches in the court.
Only I never saw another butterfly.
That butterfly was the last one.
Butterflies don't live in here,
in the ghetto.

- by Pavel Friedman

So. I am Schmetterling--am I the sort of Schmetterling people long for in the ghettos of their lives? Am I the sort of thing a doomed prisoner would draw on a prison law?

Kinda doubt it. But. Maybe I could be that sort of--

Help me out here, readers. Is anyone able to give this thought shape? I feel completely unable.

9 comments:

  1. I can't help, but the discussion reminded me of The Zookeeper's Wife, a book I just finished reading. It has some pretty butterfly imagery. (And is also, incidentally, about Poland during WWII)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm. Interesting. I've kinda been on a Holocaust book kick lately; I may have to pick that one up.

    It's okay you can't help me with my conundrum; I'm just happy to have comments, so--thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. .

    Confuzzled's nice. You'll like her. You should check out her blog as well.

    As for your issue, maybe you could help one person one time--isn't that as long as butterflies live? And isn't that enough?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, th. vouched for me. I'm blushing, just a little. (Of course, I did wander over here due to his link, so . . .) Anyway, I'd highly recommend the Ackerman. It's sad, but it's also very hopeful. She strikes a good balance that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 's a hard balance to strike. I always appreciate when someone manages to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. .

    What do you mean you never use picture?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, maybe not never, per se, but very, very rarely. Other than this post and that one time I talked about Viggo as Poe, I don't think I ever have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought of that as I posted it. I even fleetingly considered giving the post a title ("We're still not listening...") rather than a number ("Post 183"), but I thought that that might be going too far.

    ReplyDelete