03 September 2007

Post 14

Anne Frank wrote, "It's an odd idea for someone like me to keep a diary... because it seems to me that neither I--nor for that matter anyone else--will be interested in the [secrets] of a thirteen-year old school girl" (my source), but then--surprise!--less than 100 years later, more than 31 million copies of that diary have been published in 67 languages (source).
Well. Just goes to show you never can tell.

Frankly (hahahahaha), I suppose I have the opposite problem; I sit here wondering, "How is it that I, Schmetterling, the butterfly who has such fine things to say, continue to flit about this blog almost entirely unnoticed?"
Perhaps this means I will never attract any attention.
Or maybe--just maybe--maybe there's the off chance that I'm not read because The Eccentric Sage has only existed for a month and this is only my 14th post.
Maybe....

Anyway, enough of my whining; on with the eccentricity!

I was perusing some thmusings earlier today. After reading the latest, I dove deep into his archives to read the first few thmusings to see whether Thmazing got off to a 'mazing start or started out kinda like me with posts that mostly said, "Okay, I've got a blog; the theck am I supposed to do with it?" I never discovered that for sure because his second post had a link that sent me hurtling off to another blog that kept me distracted for the rest of the time I was online--especially after I discovered that her label "on my crap list" had 28 posts in it, which led me to this post, which is really the only link in this paragraph that is relevant to this post.

It's occurred to me a lot in the past few months that I have almost entirely lost my ability to rant. This is sad to me because I was so good at ranting as a high school kid. Now, before you get thinking cynical thoughts about teenage angst and hormonal idiocy and the mass conformity to the ironic trend of nonconformity--I know all teenagers go on pathetic little tirades about the unfairness of life and parents and rules and stuff from time to time, but I'll have you know that I was actually, in my own humble opinion, quite good at ranting back in those days. But somewhere I lost that--probably during the whirlwind of accelerated maturation that carried me off to Spudland USA for a couple years--and I don't really know how to recover it.

I'm only 21! Can all of my teenage angst really have been resolved already

I dunno; perhaps this isn't all bad. I mean, no matter how proficient a ranter I used to be, and no matter how entertaining some people thought I was, it's probably annoying to most people when someone has the capability to light his own fuse on any given topic at any given moment and rant about it for-ever.

Now, obviously I haven't completely lost my ability to rant--else from whence pulled I post 9?--but, all the same, I feel totally unable to come up with a list of things I'm really snobbish or picky about. The truth is, not many things get my dander up these days, which I don't suppose is entirely bad--unless I'm becoming boring, which, I dunno, is up to you, my faithful readers--all one or two of you.

Hmmm....

Am I boring?

Searching through my personal journals for some recent expression of snobbishness or some such, I find--aha! Here we go! This from 16 April 2007:
*
The mountain pass between [my home town] and [the nearby city that I commuted to to go to school] is gorgeous!
Gorgeous isn't a word I use very often, but it seems an appropriate descriptor for a mountain pass because it sounds vaguely like "gorges."
I find of all subjects, I'm most picky about word choice regarding beauty, and, for once, I'm actually consistent in the way I use the various terms.
Behold:
Cute is reserved solely for small critters and the occasional young child.
Sexy I only ever use when referring to cars.
Hot I never use. I think it's rather crude. The closest I come is when a seating person says, "Man. I'm hot," I always come back with a, "Well, that's a matter of opinion!" Usually gets a good chuckle.
Beautiful I use a lot when referring to nature--sunsets, landscapes, etc.--but also occasionally to people, though usually with more emphasis on the type of person they are than their actual looks.
Pretty is my word for attractive girls. Seems innocent enough to come off as harmless.
*
And there you have it--me being picky!

Okay. So. As it turns out, I really am pretty boring!
Good to know....

1 comment: