12 September 2008

Post 151

I’m about to say something that is, I think, the sort of thing that could cause people to hate me forever. It’s been milling about in my head for the past week or so, and I’ve been trying to devise some way to present it little by little and build up to my slap-in-the-face conclusion, but I’ve decided that that really just isn’t my style. So I’m gonna bank on the assumption that most people who read this blog are accustomed to my bluntness and then hope that that assumption doesn’t cause problems. Please understand that your first impression of what I say will most definitely be incorrect, so read the whole thing before you settle into your opinion.

There was one question I got on my mission that I was never really able to answer very clearly even though it never seemed particularly complicated to me. I’d heard the question from time to time before my mission, and I’ve heard it a few times since; I don’t imagine it is a new question, and I don’t think it’s ever going to stop plaguing humanity, but I have an answer that I am quite satisfied with.

The question: Why do bad things happen to good people?

My answer: They don’t.

Now, see? There you go getting all uppity. Why are you so easily offended? I’m telling you, you’ve jumped to a conclusion that is just plain wrong. I didn’t say that good people have easy lives, I said that bad things don’t happen to good people. Hopefully, by the time you finish reading this post, you’ll believe me.

I’ve been thinking about this because I’ve had a rough couple of weeks. I moved from one apartment complex to another, but my contracts didn’t overlap, so I had about a week and a half of homelessness. During that time, I went home to my parents’ house for a few days, where I learned that the skin cancer my dad has is worse than he’d been telling me. Shortly after I returned to Provo, a girl in a Passat rear-ended me, totaling my car twice over and screwing up my neck a bit. Less than a week after that, I in all my social suavity sort of blew to smithereens (again) a friendship I had been thoroughly enjoying. All this in the midst of the first week of my first real semester in my new major and while adjusting to a new place.

Now, this may shock some of you, but I actually consider myself well within the category of ‘good person.’ I feel I must be because, to my recollection, nothing bad has ever happened to me—ever. Oh, sure, I know what it’s like to have physical pain so intense it makes me scream or just shake, and I have experienced emotional pains such that I’ve been debilitated by sobbing for hours at a time; I have helplessly witnessed the mortal suffering of those I love, and I have seen those I care about make mistakes. I have tasted hate, been adamantly wished to hell, spit on, pushed around; I know what it is to be frozen with fear. I’ve made mistakes and writhed with guilt and regret. I’ve been rejected. I have felt shunned at times. But I really can’t think of a time when something really bad happened to me.

I list all these unpleasant things I’ve endured from time to time not because to try to convince you that my life has been hard: quite to the contrary, I think that all of those things are fairly typical and that you each could make a similar list. I mean, maybe you’ve never had physical pain so bad it made you shake, but perhaps you’ve been beaten by someone or struggled with a serious addiction or—or whatever other sorts of things people suffer in life. All I’m getting at here is that suffering doesn’t make somebody special: we’re all in this mortality thing together, and we each get our share.

You see, I’m just not convinced that bad things can happen to good people. Paul said that all things work together for the good of those who love God; Brigham Young said that he didn’t feel he had ever had to sacrifice anything for the Gospel because what he ended up with was always better that what he lost. And I say that nothing bad has ever happened to me.

I heard a story once that allegedly came out of ancient China; I think it will be helpful in this discussion (I’m setting it off not because it’s a quote but so people who’ve heard it can skip it if they like):

A man and his son caught a wild horse, brought it home, and corralled it. Their neighbors all came over to see it.

"What a beautiful animal!" the neighbors said. "You are so lucky to have caught it."

"Maybe," the man said.

A day or two later, the horse broke out of the corral and ran away. The neighbors came over to give their sympathies.

"Those damages will take a long while to fix," the neighbors said. "What an unfortunate loss."

"Maybe," the man said.

The next morning, the man and his son discovered that the horse had returned, and with it had come the rest of the herd, all grazing in the pasture. The man and his son barricaded the hole in the fence to keep the animals inside. The neighbors came over to give their congratulations.

"What good fortune!" they said.

"Maybe," the man said.

A day or two later, the man’s son tried to ride one of the horses, fell off, and broke his arm. The neighbors came over to give their condolences.

"He won’t be able to work the rest of the season," they said. "What bad luck."

"Maybe," the man said.

The next morning, a representative from the Emperor came and announced that all able-bodied young men were being drafted into the army, so all the boys of the village went off to war—except for the man’s son because he had a broken arm. Soon thereafter, a horrible battle killed all of those boys. The neighbors came again to the man.

"Our sons!" they lamented. "You are so lucky that yours could not go to war."

"Maybe," the man said.


The point of the story, I think, is that it is impossible to know immediately whether anything that happens to you is good or bad. I have often been amazed at God’s ability to take really horrible circumstances and consecrate them for my good. Also, if you really pay attention to what Moroni actually says in Ether 12:27, I think you’ll find his choice of verbiage (viz. "give") quite interesting. It’s hard to think of trials (and particularly our own weaknesses) as gifts or of humility as much of a reward, but God knows what He’s doing, I’m pretty sure.

Now, I’m not so wise as to be able to see the good in everything; for example, I’m not really sure why it was necessary (or even that it was necessary) for me to have only one kidney. Furthermore, I’m really not sure what good came out of spending the first 12 years of my life wondering why I was in so much pain while it quietly withered away (not that I knew it was withering away: that took the doctors an awfully long time to deduce). Also, I don’t really know what good comes of my occasional social casualties (sure, I learn from them, but isn’t there a better way?). Still, I believe wholeheartedly that bad things don’t happen to good people, and every unpleasant thing I ever encounter will one day be counted a blessing.

So that classic question—why do bad things happen to good people—is really a poor question, if you ask me, because the only acceptable answer is, "They don’t; can you please rephrase the question?" My question is this: Do bad things happen to bad people? I honestly don’t know: I’m not a bad person. I suppose bad people eventually wind up in hell, but I’m not sure that’s such a bad thing because, as we learn in Mormon 9:4, they’ll be happier there than they would be in heaven anyway. (Perhaps that’s taken a wee bit out of context, but I think the sentiment is fair enough.)

Do bad thing happen at all?

Certainly evil is real, and people make bad choices sometimes, but this notion of bad things just happening—I really don’t buy into it much.

Any thoughts?

20 comments:

  1. .

    I agree with you. (Sorry, I know that's not exciting.) And I also know what it is to be misunderstood. For instance, I hate it when abortion comes up because I think of myself as both prochoice and prolife---I don't see them as opposites as all. But if I say I'm prochoice, people will get the completely wrong idea; and if I say I'm prolife, people will miss out on my reasoning, which is vital. But no one ever wants a long blogpost in reply to a simple question. You know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the paradigm I've enjoyed most of my life. Unfortunately, I've never been able to sum it up so nicely and therefore have not been generally known to be a person of much sense. I think the popular term for my thinking was "naive"...

    That hasn't been a bad thing either... it tempers my ego - keeps me humble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, too. (Now please pick your jaw up off the floor. Thank you.)

    To add a quick note to what you're saying--or rather, to say it in a sort of different way--we, as humans with a limited perception, cannot view everything that happens to us in its proper eternal context. We don't have that ability.

    So we can't fairly call things bad. I agree with that. We can call them difficult, but not bad.

    (Completely random note: when my last ex-boyfriend and I were trying to figure out what should happen with my relationship and we were both praying about it, I kept getting the answer--over and over--that all things work for the good of them who love God. We broke up. That was difficult, at the time. But I wouldn't call it bad. In fact, it ended up having unforeseen good consequences in the long run.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. .

    (Since everyone agrees with you, I guess you can't stall two weeks while the comments add up. You'll actually have to write another post this time.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hm... Well I disagree. I think trials are hard, and are seen as bad. Are they good for us? Yeah. But they can be seen as bad. And bad is such a relative term, that you can call it bad and be technically correct.

    Plus (and maybe I'm making a logical falacy here) if bad things can never happen to good people, can they happen to bad people?
    Little Joey is bad. He broke his arm. Well little Jill is good. She also broke her arm.

    Now, I'm going to assume you'll say "Well Jill will learn from it, and see it as a blessing." Ok, fine, I'll accept that. Can't Joey?
    Is it it not a bad thing only if you learn from it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nonono, I think that it doesn't matter whether Jill realizes it's a blessing or not. The question I ended with was whether bad things happen to anyone at all, and I think that they don't. I don't think it was bad for either Joey or Jill, and in fact, it might be better for Joey because there's a good chance he won't be getting into as much trouble while he only has one arm.

    I'm not saying it's merely a matter of perspective: I'm saying bad things don't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hm... So you're saying that bad things don't happen because whatever unpleasant thing happens to us, it's for our good?

    I still don't think I agree. I do think that God can take bad things and turn them for our good. But they're still bad things.

    And also when a person makes a bad choice, there are bad consequences resulting in bad stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. .

    Fenny makes a good point: if "bad things" don't exist, we have no opposition and thus no meaning and things can't be "good" either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perhaps, then, it's an arbitrary delineation. Not that "good" and "bad" don't exist, but I don't think there's any way fair to categorize life experiences that way--except maybe to say that it is always better to experience life than not to (as in the case of the third of the host of heaven who won't ever experience it). True, many of the decisions can be categorized as "righteous" or "unrighteous," but even those are in the minority: I've made all kinds of decisions today already (to get up and dressed, eat breakfast, to go to school, to write this comment--I chose to use this particular computer in this particular lab rather than any of the other computers I could have used...), but I'm not sure any of these can really be said to have positively or negatively impacted my eternal standing. Still, I think I'm better off for having made them--not necessarily for having made the particular decisions I did but simply for having made a decision at all. But there again you'll probably come back at me with something like "Not deciding is a decision!" and I must say I agree with that.

    I dunnno--am I just rambling now?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's a C.S. Lewis quote for you. ('Fraid he doesn't agree with you, exactly):

    ". . . there is danger in the very concept of religion. It carries the suggestion this is one more department of life, an extra department added to the economic, the social, the intellectual, the recreational, and all the rest. But that whose claims are infinite can have no standing as a department. Either it is an illusion or our whole life falls under it. We have no non=religious activities; only religious and irreligious."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kay, lemme try a slightly different angle, 'cuz I've been thinking about this since I last commented anyway:

    I've decided that actions can be (and are necessarily) good or bad (plenty of scriptures from Lehi and Mormon on that bit), but I still don't think anything bad ever happens to good people--and maybe to people in general.

    That is my demented flavor of optimism, and I'm clinging to it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, so long as you admit it's a little demented . . . ;) ('Sides, what's the fun in disagreeing if you're going to stay stubbornly camped on your own side anyway?)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haza for me! ^.^ I made a point!

    Well I'm glad you see my point now ya'll and Schmetter...

    Heh, now I'm gunna throw in my wrench and say that I'm starting to change my mind. ^.^; 'Cause I was thinking about it and thinking that no, "bad" things don't really happen to us. Difficult things happen to us, surely. But I don't know that you could call them bad...
    Heavenly Father keeps a careful watch on all of us. He's our father, and won't leave us alone ever. Would a loveing father really let anything bad happen??

    Now, he can see the end from the beginning, he knows what we need and what we'll grow from. So certainly he'll let dificult things happen to us that certainly seem horrible and rotton and "how could you do this to me"-ish. But to say that He will let something truely bad happen seems like we were a pot he was carrying, and he dropped us.
    He won't drop us. He's too mindful of us.

    He may toss us in the air like you do a baby, but that's when he's most mindful of us. You have to pay even more attention to something when it's not in your hands. If he's holding us, and life is all hunky-dory, then he knows we're ok and he can look somewhere else. When he gives us a toss and life gets turned upside down, that's when we feel alone, but that's when he's watching even more closely.

    If we do happen to crack because of "bad stuff" it's only to smooth over our edges and bring us closer to our final form.

    (On a side note, this reminds me of a post I did recently. http://eternalpuppy.blogspot.com/2008/09/gemz-vs-gems.html)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Of corse... then I think about horrible things like the Holocaust. o.O That was certainly... well, horrible.

    Now, Heavenly Father has to let bad actions happen some times so he can justly punish the people who do them. I get that. But when something happens like that, could you concider it a "bad thing"? ... I wanna say yes... But then there's my previous thought...
    Hm...

    *shrug* Dunno. But I plan to ask God when I see him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't really know what to say about the Holocaust, but in Alma 14, the wholesale slaughter of the righteous sent them all straight toward eternal glory--doesn't sound so bad to me....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Schmetter: True... true... Their ending was happy. And I suppose that's all that really matters.

    Th: ROFL! Oh, that's awesome! ^.^ I've never heard that before.

    ReplyDelete