18 January 2008

Post 73

A couple days ago, I watched an Italian film called Not of This World in my film class. It's taken me a couple days of digesting to form a solid opinion on it, but I've decided that I really, really like it and highly recommend it with only one caveat: the movie is in Italian, and the DVD's subtitles hint that the translation is--less than it should be. There were a few times that I thought to myself, "Man, I bet that line is really very powerful in Italian," and there were many spelling and grammar errors that were--ridiculous, really.

I love this movie, though, because it is so very different from most movies. If I were to summarize the plot for you, even if I gave you a thorough play-by-play report of it, I would never be able to convey to you the magic and the power of this movie because all of its beauty is wrapped up in the characters and their progression and change as the movie goes on. Also, by summarizing the plot, I would do the story great injustice because of the way it ends. The ending is--well, it isn't the type of ending that Hollywood enthusiasts crave (ie contrived happily-ever-after nonsense), but it certainly isn't a tragic ending--in fact, it was uplifting, almost spiritual--one of the most satisfying denouements I've yet encountered. Beyond that, I don't really know what to say about it; it's really something that you have to experience for yourself to understand.

This is a good one to see and then allow to percolate in your head for awhile; I really don't recommend forming any hasty opinions about it.

1 comment:

  1. For a more professional and thorough review, check this out:

    http://oldschoolreviews.com/rev_2000/not_world.htm

    ReplyDelete