25 December 2007

Post 61

Hey, merry Christmas everyone! Quick yuletide thought for you presented in less eloquent terms than it probably deserves:

Despite its pagan roots, to me Christmas is about the most beautifully Christian thing I can think of; really, it's an amazing metaphor. Think about it: Christmas started out as this celebration of the winter solstice but has been transformed into a celebration of the birth of our Savior--the holiday is a convert of sorts. Its trees (which originally had something to do with cultist fertility rites, I'd imagine) and candles and gifts and strange traditions glorifying unsavory things have been totally converted to the ways of Christianity, and each element has had Christian symbolism thrust upon it insomuch that its past of wickedness has been totally forgotten--just like when we repent.

Sure, our Witness friends shout out against holidays started by "ancient, false religions"--a very valid concern, in my mind--but I think that we've all come from "ancient, false" traditions in our own way and are all working toward the truth, and if Christmas can so thoroughly make such a dramatic change, why not us?

2 comments:

  1. .

    Interesting. I like that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Very interesting thought that. That'd never occured to me. Very cool. ^.^ I'll have to remember that.

    ReplyDelete