13 December 2007

Post 53

Wow. I just--wow. I am--frankly, I'm completely flabbergasted.

Gee whiz. Whod thunk?

So. I just watched Rocky. Never seen it before tonight. As I was watching it, I was thinking, "Meh. It's nice and all--good ole underdog motif, and it's done well enough. I can tell why it's a classic--ril nice feel-good movie, ya know? Nothing special, though. Don't get me wrong; I like it okay, but it's nothing special--that's all I'm saying." And the night before the big fight, when he's talking to Adrienne, saying, "I just can't do it. I'm not gonna win. I just want to go the distance. No one's ever gone the distance before," I, of course, am thinking, "Yeah, right. You're gonna go in the ring, get the living crap beat outta yeh, and then you'll throw a few of your beef-rib-breaking punches and the champ'll go to his knees and give up his title."

But I was wrong. And that's why this is an excellent movie: the underdog went the distance against impossible odds, but he didn't win--split decision, yes; win, no. And split decision went to reigning champ, so underdog didn't win; he just held his own.

That's a story worth telling. Mad props to Stallone--he did write the movie, after all.

Note of lesser importance: I also really appreciated that Adrienne wasn't some sad neglected hottie just waiting to be discovered. Man I get so sick of this she's-worth-10-cows-if-she's-worth-a-hoof sort of heroines. I like that Rocky was just a good, down-to-earth fellow who got his good, down-to-earth girl.

I gotta get me one of those....

No comments:

Post a Comment