26 October 2007

Post 31

Man. See, that's what I'm looking for--but in books.
To quote the Raven: "vainly I [have] sought to borrow/From my books surcease of sorrow."

Music. Music is a truly passionate medium. Unfortunately, my opinion of modern music isn't much higher than my opinion of modern literature--mostly, modern art as a whole is one big disappointment to me; humanity has somehow lost its ability to distill emotion--for the most part at least.

But we haven't lost everything; as long as me have melancholy, there will always be some semblance of art, I suppose. (For my part, I spend a lot of time living and breathing melancholy; I just can't focus it into anything but lengthy whines to post on my blog.) I can't think of any more recent examples, but Soul Asylum's "Runaway Train" and Bon Jovi's "Someday I'll Be Saturday Night" are two songs that are too poignant for me to listen to very regularly--if at all. They always get to me.

I'm not one to cry, but I'm a prolific sigher, and those two songs make me sigh from an unplumbed depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment