08 October 2010

Post 234

Go me! I feel so validated! It's great!

I'm going to graduate in April, which means I only get one more semester after this one to milk my undergraduate career for all it's worth. One thing I've kinda been regretting recently is that, despite earning an English minor, I have yet to take a single creative writing course. It's just one of those things that I always wanted to do but never made a priority, and now I'm pretty well out of time.

There are two levels of creative writing courses here at BYU: a 200-level survey course that introduces students to methods of writing fiction, nonfiction, and poetry, and then there are three different 300-level courses that specialize--one for fiction, one for nonfiction, one for poetry. It's the 300-level nonfiction course that I've always been interested in, but the 200-level introductory course always stood in my way, and there were always other classes that I felt were more important.

Well, registration is approaching once again--the last time it will for undergraduate Schmetterling. About a week ago, I was looking at classes, trying to figure out my final semester's schedule, and I whimsically pulled up the nonfiction class. It has two sections, one of which is taught by a teacher I've heard very good things about--especially in regards to this class. An English-major friend of mine, upon hearing that I was interested in creative nonfiction, told me that this professor "is the king, queen, and prince of creative nonfiction." I really want to take this class.

I glanced at the prerequisites just to make sure that it was impossible when I found a loophole: "ENGL 218R or instructor's consent." So I decided to try my luck by sending the professor an email asking him whether there was any chance I could get his consent.

His response:

Thanks for your interest in the class. I rarely make exceptions, but I'd gladly take a look at a sample of your writing to determine whether you can take the class without the prerequisite. Send me something?


The juxtaposition of 'rarely' and 'but' made me feel less than confident, but I had to try it--especially since he was willing to give me a chance. I dug through my computer files, looking for something worth banking on. I found nothing. And then I thought of my other blog, so I grabbed a story off of it, gave it a quick brush up, and sent it off to him.

Four days went by--which, really, that's pretty impressively prompt for a professor to read a 6 pages of stuff written by a student trying to work the system--but it was still nerve wracking. Frankly, I'd already resigned myself to never being able to take that class.

'TIS NOT SO!

Today I got this email, which made me feel oh so very good about myself:

That's a fun piece to read. I like it. You have my permission to sign up for English 317R. I look forward to meeting you next semester...


Yay me!

6 comments:

  1. Every fiber of my got-my-undergrad-degree-in-creative-writing being is delighted by this post.

    Just thought you should know.

    ...Of course, you should watch out. You might unwittingly become ONE OF US ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, now. I like to think I've always been "one of [you]" if by that you mean being a creative writer. And take note that it's a creative nonfiction class, so this is totally in line with my credos.

    I do appreciate your delight, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. .

    I knew it!

    Don't tell him what I think of him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well. It was a nice thought....

    Even though I'm a senior, I don't have first pick for classes because super seniors have an earlier priority registration date than I do, and when I tried to register for the class at about 8am on the day my registration opened, it was already filled, so I'm not gonna get to take it.

    Oh, well. At least I have the satisfaction of knowing I would have been allowed to.

    ReplyDelete