04 March 2009

Post 187

I've always admired the brainwork accomplished by those who are good at the Kevin Bacon game, but I've never been able to join in because I don't know that I've ever actually seen a Kevin Bacon movie and I'm pretty terrible and remembering who's been in what anyway. But today I caught the vision of it as I played with some guys at work. Even though I'm still Kevin-Bacon retarded, I know enough to connect him to Tom Hanks in Apollo 13, and I know a few tricks that allow me to connect Tom Hanks to just about anybody--but only so long as nobody enforces a set number of degrees. I can now fully appreciate just how awesome it feels to make the connection between seemingly unrelated celebrities, which I never really got before.

The only reason I bring this up, though, is this chain I came up with (there is probably a shorter way, if any of you who a more movie savvy than I am want to undertake it, but this is good enough for me):

Kevin Bacon was in Apollo 13 with Tom Hanks, who was in Cast Away with Helen Hunt, who was in As Good as It Gets with Greg Kinnear, who was in Little Miss Sunshine with Alan Arkin, who was in Marly&Me with Owen Wilson, who was in Cars with Cheech Marin, who was in Oliver&Co. with--you guessed it!--Billy Joel.

The Seven Degrees of Billy Joel--now there's a game worth playing!

4 comments:

  1. Billy Joel used to date Kevin Bacon's ex-wife--2 steps.

    (this game is really easy if no one checks your facts)

    ReplyDelete
  2. .

    That sounds pretty hard, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. .

    And I don't think Kevin Bacon has an ex. Who was he married to before Kyra Sedgwick?

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Ergo "if no one checks your facts")

    Yeah, it would be a hard game 'cuz that's the only movie he's ever been in. Still, though--he's Billy Joel!

    ReplyDelete