13 December 2008

Post 171

And now for a poem I wrote on my mission. Enjoy!

---

Christmas comes, and Johnny's sure
To remember what it's for,
So writes his prayer out on a list,
And, just to make sure he's not missed,
He leaves an off'ring for his god
(A greedy being, so it's not odd):
A plate of cookies and some milk,
Then goes to bed wrapped in a quilt.
He stays awake (he cannot sleep)
And so a silent vigil keeps
To see if he can hear a sound
When his god comes roaming 'round.
Then Santa Claus, his Christmas god,
On Johnny's snowy rooftop trods,
Goes down the chimney, to the table,
Eats all the cookies he is able
Then picks up Johnny's little list
And holds it tightly in his fist.

Now if you don't obey the laws
Set up by fat ole Santa Claus
You'll end up like Johnny, who
Got just old coal and nothing new.
I don't believe in Santa Claus;
If you must know why then it's because
He's a false god, and that is bad--
Don't worship him: it makes me sad!
If you love Santa and his bells
More than Jesus, you'll go to hell!

---

I'm not quite that bitter any more, but the sentiment always makes me smile. And whenever I hear that "Grown-up Christmas List" song, I think, "Wow, you really do pray to Santa, don't ya?"

Anyway, I realize I haven't posted very regularly lately, so I thought I'd put something up to say, "Merry Christmas!" and "I'm still kickin'!"

4 comments:

  1. *Sigh of Satisfaction* Ah yes. That pulls me back into the good old days of Santa Bashing with Elder Kay and finding homes furnished with christmas trees who's branches were adorned with shining silver and gold budwiser cans (drained of course). Merry Smashedmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't recognize the title "Grown-up Christmas List," so I looked it up on you tube and got a version sung by Amy Grant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvuTHCLB3o0). I thought you might be interested to know that within the first 15 seconds, before she even starts singing, she proves your point... this is a sick world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. .

    Sigh.

    Like all moralizing holiday poetry, the rhythm breaks down when the message becomes a hammer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol. But kicking who? ^.~
    Anyeay... Interesting poem. Yes, very synical. But well put together. And it ryhmes! The sign of a good poem, lol.

    Heh... And I was just thinking how the Christmas spirit was about being kind to people, and giving. Yes, gifts, but there's definately the aura of kindness.

    And dag-nabbit, I like that song!

    ReplyDelete