25 October 2008

Post 161

Strange how these movie reviews always come in groups....

Last night I watched Lady in the Water. I am not a fan of M. Night Shyamalan--Signs doesn't really do it for me; The Village was interesting but nothing I'd watch again; The Sixth Sense I remember virtually nothing about except that it scared me silly for a ridiculously long time--so knowing that this work was his, that he would be playing a crucial role, and that it was supposed to be some sort of demented bedtime story--I went into it with a lot of reservation.

But I really enjoyed this movie--really enjoyed it. I loved how it believed in itself so unfailingly and yet managed not to take itself overly serious--it was very refreshing some how. The whole thing was so different, so fun that rejecting it would be something akin to kicking a puppy, ya know? It was just so datgum lovable!

Don't think I've ever felt this way about a movie before. Kinda nice, actually.

While I'm reviewing movies, I finally got around to seeing The Sting last weekend. It was pretty good. I like that flavor of movie--the heisty double-cross--it's a good time most any way you slice it. And Paul Newman and Robert Redford are a powerhouse of a team, man. I didn't really like Butch Cassedy and the Sundance Kid too much, but I enjoyed them in it; The Sting was all I could have hoped for from them and more. Robert Redford is, like, our parents' generation's Brad Pitt; Paul Newman is just Paul Newman--there will never be a person who is all that is man the way he is. No one else could have pulled off Cool Hand Luke--no one. Not that I really like that movie, either, but it is the quitessential Paul Newman, and when Paul gives that smile--whether it be in The Sting or as Butch--you know he's gonna come out on top, and it just gives you hope for manhood, ya know?

Maybe I'm crazy, but that's probably why you're here reading my blog, now, isn't it?

3 comments:

  1. You liked Lady in the Water? Sigh. Just when I had some hopes about your developing cultural eptitude . . . (because eptitude would be the opposite of ineptitude, right?)

    I just found it too patently ridiculous. But that's okay. You redeemed yourself by enjoying The Sting. I more or less grew up on that movie. (It's one of my dad's favorites.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice that you feel so strongly against kicking me. ;P

    And since I've never seen either of those, I'm gunna shut up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lady and the water is pretty good. When I saw it I went with some friends who thought it was going to be scary. The best part was wacthing them jump/scream everytime the sprinklers went off.

    ReplyDelete