04 May 2008

Post 122

Of all the poignant passages of scriptures in my canon, none is so painful for me to read as are the various accounts in the four gospels of Jesus' crucifixion. But in that most painful story, there is one point that is, for me, the epitome of suffering, and that is Christ's exclamation given to us by Matthew and Mark, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

Jesus suffered a lot--certainly more than this little butterfly can comprehend--but I think that that was the most painful moment. I am sure that His Father had lovingly sustained Him from Gethsemane through His bogus trials and all the way to the cross, but in that moment when the Father withdrew, Christ the Lord, Creator of heaven and earth, cried out to Him from the depths of His soul, "My God, my God, why has thou forsaken me?"

I don't pretend to know all the whys and hows of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, so I will not attempt to explain why God withdrew in that moment, but I point to that as a singular experience, one that we can never fully empathize with.

When we sin, we separate ourselves from God. By choosing to do things that He would not have us do, we choose to remove ourselves from His guidance and protection. Thus we may often find ourselves feeling forsaken by God, but such is never really the case; we never have cause to shout, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" but rather, "My God, my God, why have I forsaken thee?"--it's a big difference and an important one.

I know what it's like to be distanced from God. I have been one acquainted with the night, feeling alone and forsaken. But I invariably find that God, in all His unchangeableness, doesn't move far from where I last found Him, and if I can find the strength to get up and return, He will consecrate my efforts to do so.

Change can be hard, but it's always possible. I believe that the Atonement of Jesus Christ not only cleanses us but actually strengthens and enables us so that we don't have to make the same mistakes repeatedly. If we seek God, He'll seek us and help us to find Him. "Behold, he sendeth an invitation unto all men, for the arms of mercy are extended towards them, and he saith: Repent, and I will receive you."

We are only as forsaken as we choose to be. Unlike Christ, who was perfectly sinless but had to be forsaken to descend below all things, we never have to be left alone for He will never forsake us if we cleave unto Him.

I sometimes do things that I know I shouldn't, and I can sometimes feel myself drifting away from God, but I know that returning is always possible and that separation is never necessary. Hope reigns supreme, for Christ has conquered all; we need only to stay as close to Him as we can and all will be well.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (this is the post I removed... I wanted to fix a typo)

    This is a beautiful and uplifting post. Thanks Schmetterling. If I may, I'd like to add two scriptures:

    First, James 4:8

    "Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded."

    The second is close to a verse referenced in the footnotes for the first, and applies well to the first part of the post:

    Psalms 69:20 (21 shows that this is in reference to the crucification)

    "Reproach hath broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness; and I looked for some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes. Thanks for that James 4:8 reference. As I typed "If we seek God, He'll seek us," I knew I was referencing some scripture--probably several different scriptures--but I couldn't link to one because couldn't find one that said exactly what I wanted. This'll do.

    As for that psalm, yes yes. Mark's account of this particular part of the crucifixion is the most painful because it shows that there were none to comfort or take pity:

    "34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, aEloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou bforsaken me?
    35 And some of them that stood by, when they heard it, said, Behold, he calleth Elias.
    36 And one ran and filled a spunge full of avinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave him to drink, saying, Let alone; let us see whether Elias will come to take him down."

    ReplyDelete
  4. [my apologies for "aEloi" and "avinegar"--I neglected to erase the footnote superscripts when I copy-pasted.]

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you are copying scriptures from http://scriptures.lds.org you can save yourself a lot of time and pain if you go to options and select the option that says "hide footnotes". It's quick and easy and doesn't require 5 minutes of deleting extra letters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. .

    Ahhhh. Brilliant. I never noticed that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait. Did I say something brilliant, or are you referring to Schlange's turn-off-the-footnotes trick?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow... Powerful... I've read that part many times, but you really hit it on the head.

    To be truely alone... *shudder* Scary thought. And that he did all that for me? Wow...

    Another amazing post! ^.^

    ReplyDelete