05 November 2008

Post 164

Yesterday, while I was cleaning dorm bathrooms, my mind wandering as it is typically wont to do in such times, I composed the single greatest sentence in the history of the English language. It's true! I'm not being prideful, just honest. And so I'd like to share this sentence with you, but what's a sentence without context, right? Right. Ergo the following fictional story:

So there were these two roommates, and one of them had a dolly--ya know, the kind you use to haul boxes and stuff. And he always kept it in the same place. Well, one day, he got home from classes, and he noticed that his dolly was missing. But he was a pretty chill sort of kid, so he didn't freak out or anything. Later that night, he noticed that his dolly had returned, so he said to his roommate, "Hey, do you know where my dolly's been?"

"I dunno," his roommate said. "It might have been being used to help move stuff."

CHECK IT, BABY: SIX CONSECUTIVE VERBS! I ROCK!

7 comments:

  1. Lest you doubt the legitimacy:

    Simple: I used it to help move stuff.

    Passive: It was used to help move stuff.

    Passive progressive: It was being used to help move stuff.

    Co-occurrant passive progressive: It might have been being used to help move stuff.

    This is my major. This is what I love; this is what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the demonstration of your own unique neuroses.

    Although I'll openly admit: I used to delight in finding such gems of sentences in students' papers when I worked as a writing tutor :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I stick to music...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Thanks for the demonstration of your own unique neuroses." *snikker* I ditto Confuzzled. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  5. So this is one of your blogs. Pretty impressive sentence. You put this blog to good use, and although it might have been being used to entertain and inform, your comments show that it may be being used to help educate as well. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks!

    It's nice to know somebody appreciates this sort of stuff....

    ReplyDelete