18 April 2008

Post 116

Ah, that delightful academic buzz. It's been so long since I felt it last; I've missed it dearly.

Today I took four finals between 2:00 and 5:00. Thanks to BYU's website, I can see scores and elapsed time. In 108 combined minutes, I answered 262 multiple-choice questions--and did fairly well for myself: 94%, 88%, 80%, and ??% (I got a 67.5% on it, but the curve in that course is so rigorous that I earned A's on both of the other tests I've taken for it, on with a one with a 70%, the other with a 68.8%, so I figure that this is at least a high B, possibly a low A if everyone else does poorly).

So, I feel pretty good right now. Maybe if I had really studied and cared, I coulda done better, but the oppressive boredom I've felt throughout this term has really crippled my study ethic, and if laziness earns me A's and B's, what do I really care anyway?

Anyway, I don't intend only to brag in this post; I'd actually like to do a brief movie review, so here I go:

Last night, I watched Big Fish. I love that movie. It's one I own and have seen a few times, but I haven't watched it since I got this blog, so I haven't officially reviewed it.

It's hard to say why I like this movie. Really, I don't have a single good reason to like it, but that makes me like it all the more. I've decided that, even though I have often said that I don't like long movies, I am not at all opposed to slow-moving movies--actually, I really like some of them.

The more I think about movies and try to review them, the more I realize that I'm pretty inconsistent in the reasons I like or dislike movies. For example, I've often said that I don't like the LOTR movie 'cuz they're so dang long, but Meet Joe Black is one of my favorites, and it's right at three-hours. I guess I just don't have the patience for speculative fiction--not that Meet Joe Black is especially realistic.

And so, at long last, I think that I have finally come to a solid justification for my distaste for speculative fiction; I don't think that it says much for me as an intellectual--or as a human being at all, really--but even the deepest oceans have their wading pools (not that I consider myself a metaphorical ocean in any regard).

I like movies that are easily accessible without being moralistic.

Glancing up at my shelf of movies, I think that this idea can be applied to each one, with the possible exception of the few comedies I own for the sake of having a chuckle every now and then.

My shelf of movies looks like this: Big Fish, Cast Away, Charade, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Freedom Writers, The Gods must Be Crazy I&II, Holiday (1938), Jakob the Liar, Maverick, Meet Joe Black, Mr. Holland's Opus, Stranger than Fiction, The Testaments, Toy Story 2, Tucker: The Man and His Dream, Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-rabbit.

The Gods must Be Crazy I&II and Wallace & Gromit I acquired through strange circumstances and never watch and only hold on to because maybe they'll come in handy someday somehow and, besides that, to get rid of them would require more effort than the insignificant shelf space that their evictions would proffer is worth. The rest of the movies, however, I think are all meritorious, each in its own way.

I won't go through them all just now, but if there are any of the above that you haven't seen, I'd recommend any of them unilaterally (though with some hesitation regarding Eternal Sunshine because it is rated R, and I've only ever seen an edited version, so I really can't speak for what badness it may secretly contain).

And--I'm done. I dunno. I just suddenly got bored with this post, so it's over now. I assume that you give yourselves the liberty of ceasing from reading when I bore you; so I reserve the right to stop writing when I bore myself.

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing finals! I most admit I'm a bit jealous, I don't have finals for a week so that means another 2 weeks before I'm done. anyway, I started to watch Big Fish shortly after it came out on dvd, but the movie I rented was scratched ANd I never got to see the ending. But I liked the plot and how it was shown. I haven't seen some of the other movies you have listed but I have heard they are good. If you haven't seen What's up Doc I highly reconmend it. Like all movies of its time it has a truely outradious car chase sceen that is very intertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE What's Up Doc! Total classic. And funny as heck--however funny heck is....

    ReplyDelete
  3. .

    Jealous of the website. They didn't have that back in the day.

    Have you read Big Fish? I would be curious what you think. I've only seen the film and I spent the whole time being amazed how needlessly different it was from the book. Made it impossible to enjoy. You having seen the flick first may have a completely different experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember you saying that to me before, so I've been somewhat hesitant to read the book, fearing that it might mar my opinion of the film.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm. Methinks I now need to go back and read the book, because I recall liking the movie better. And I don't recall a big variation between the two . . .

    Anyway, Big Fish is in the top three of my mental list of top movies. I just love the way it treats its subject matter--the overlap between 'story' and 'reality.' I think sometimes we need the narrative to make sense of the actual reality. Plus I like the idea of story-as-life and life-as-story.

    (Go figure. Must be the English graduate in me :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh heh. Confuzzled said, "Methinks." I thought I was the only one who ever did that....

    Anyway, you liked the movie better than the book? That's rare--not just with Big Fish but with book-based movies in general.

    So the question here, I guess, is did you read the book or see the movie first?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw the movie first. But that is the only instance I can think of--EVER--that I liked the movie better than I liked the book.

    And yes. Sometimes I say "methinks." Glad it gives you a chuckle . . . (I think)

    ReplyDelete
  8. .

    It occurs to me that one of the reasons I liked the book better may make you like it less, viz, the ending was more ambiguous -- the interpretation that he really became a fish is allowed.

    I would like to both reread and rewatch Big Fish -- I've done both only once each, and I hardly ever like Tim Burton movies the first time. The only exceptions being, I believe, Nightmare and Victor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you know that Tim Burton is remaking Frankenweenie and doing a version of Alice in Wonderland?

    I'm WAY excited.

    ReplyDelete